CHAIN Goes to Congress
October 21-23, 2014
Washington, D. C.
Jeanette Godfrey- Representative for CHAIN
Each representative discussed their stories or key experiences as an adoptive or foster care parent after the NACAC leader introduced our reason for speaking to our Congressional Representative. I spoke with the Congressional Aide for Senator Cardin and Mikauski of MD.
Key Issues - Thanking Congress for the Passage of this Bill
Passage of House Bill H R. 4980 the Preventing of Sex Trafficking and Strengthening Families Act – July 2014 – This bill continues to improve issues related to child welfare, improve incentive rates for care of adoptive, foster care and guardianship, encouraging placement of siblings when they do not enter care at the same time, allowing foster care parents to make day to day decisions without getting permission from DSS, allowing youths to plan or develop their own transition plan and ensuring that youths obtain birth certificates, driver license, social security cards and medical records.
Talking to Congressional Aides: Telling my Story-working with Teen Moms in Foster Care
- Discuss key facts about MD foster care adopted facts
- Families are the best place for a child teens, siblings, children with disabilities
- Families need training and support to help meet the needs of children in their care
- Families need strong casework support
- Families need support services such as medical care, respite, sufficient monthly payments and access to therapeutic services, educational support.
<< New text box >>